how the shutdown is affecting your health

The government shutdown has left several federal agencies running with skeleton crews.  The problem?  Many of those agencies are directly responsible for monitoring the nation’s health.  If there was ever a time to highlight the important role that public health plays in keeping America healthy, it is now.  Here’s a few specific examples:

-the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is one of the agencies affected by the shutdown.  The CDC monitors for disease outbreaks, in particular for foodborne in particular for foodborne illnesses.  If you hadn’t heard, there’s currently a salmonella outbreak that has sickened over 270 people.  This is only one of some 30 other outbreaks that the CDC is monitoring, but with reduced staff, investigating outbreaks has slowed significantly.

-The CDC has also stopped its surveillance for influenza, although thankfully it’s early in the flu season.

-OSHA or the Occupational Safety and Health Administration has stopped workplace checks for safety and health violations

-probably the scariest public health related casualty of the government shutdown is the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), which has stopped routine inspections of food facilities.  The FDA is responsible for inspecting approximately 80% of the nation’s food supply (the other 20% falls mostly under the authoridy of the USDA – which is still mostly staffed).

Advertisements

About justgngr

the ramblings of a medical professional by day, judgmental ginger by night
This entry was posted in medicine, politics and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s